Saturday 16 April 2016

Paprika Review

Hi guys welcome back!  Just want to say before I start the Review is that this is my first Anime that I am reviewing on my channel and I appreciate.


Paprika

Watch the video review of  Paprika  HERE

Satoshi Kon directed it and it is based on yasutakatsutsui’s 1993 novel by the same name. Paprika is one of those films that I couldn’t resist watching. The animationis captivating from the beginning and I liked the starting intro of this film. It is a story of few therapists who are experimenting with the device called DC Mini. With this device they can enterinto a patient’s dream and help them. Suddenly things goes sideways when the device gets stolen and everything becomes chaotic. One of the female therapists Chiba Atsuko who is responsible for this project starts investigating. One of her patients Detective Konugawa Toshimi also helps in her attempt to retrieve the device.

Now why did they make this device? The reason for this device’s existence is pretty clear when we see Detective Konugawa deal with his traumatic experience from his past. So idea isif we understand some one’s dreams we can understand what exactly is troubling them and help them accordingly.  Entering in someone’s dream also has its negative side, that is what this film explores. One of the things I liked about the Paprika as a character was that she had no limitations. since she was in the world of dreams she could become virtually whoever she wantedto befor eg she can turn into a fly like a fairy,  pinnochio, swim like a mermaid orbe the heroic Monkey king.

Lets come to the part that bothered me most, the first two acts are great but the final act does not go down very well. What I mean by that is even if such a device exists and all the dreams are connected how could it interfere with reality? We as  an audience are not given a  concrete reason for this. The plot becomes so fantastic in the end that it stops being believable. plus I did not care about the characters enough, that is one the weak points of this movie. Satoshi kon’sprevious works were psychologically engaging but this one only manages engage you visually.


Theanimation in the movie is visually stunning and beautiful. It is very exciting and fun to watch the mind-blowing dream sequences.I liked the music in the movie. I have no complaints about it. One of the underlying tone of the movie is “movies” itself. Other than the fact that our detective dreams about movies, there is a subtle hint in the end of the movie where you see Satoshi Kon’s previous work displayed in the cinema theater. “perfect blue” “millennium actress” “Tokyo Godfathers”

I will give it8 out of 10
If you are like me who hates reading …..then the Anime has a great English dub.
if you haven’t seen it yet then I recommend you to watch it.


No comments:

Post a Comment